Vegetarian chili is something we have made a few times in the past, it has been altered each time and yesterday we finally made the perfect chili according to our preference! Chili is really easy because it incorporates so many yummy vegetables! We usually make chili when we need to get rid of vegetables.
3 tsp of oil
Chili Beans in Sauce (canned)
Pinto Beans – drained
2 Carrots -chopped – thin
1 medium onion –diced
1 clove of garlic- finely chopped
2 Smart Dogs (veggie) – diced
¼ cup of ketchup (or tomato paste)
1 tablespoon of chili garlic sauce (tomato based)
¼ cup of water (and as needed)
1 tsp of salt
A pinch of oregano (dried powder)
¼ tsp chili powder (or to taste)
½ tsp cumin powder
1. Heat oil on medium heat in a pot, and then saute onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Then add carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add the chili beans ( we used the one without beef fat) and the pinto beans and let the vegetables absorb the chili flavor. Then add the hot dogs, and stir everything in.
3. In a small bowl, mix the water, ketchup (or tomato puree) and chili garlic sauce until it is all mixed together. Pour this mixture into the pot of chili.
4. Now you can add the chili powder, cumin powder, oregano and salt according to your taste. We like the chili more spicy so we added more chili powder.
5. Adjust taste to what you prefer then close the pot and let it cook together on relatively low heat for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are cooked through but not mushy.
6. Take the pot off heat, serve with tortilla chips, and cheese.
Feel free to change this recipe how you want, we just added all the vegetables and ingredients we had in the fridge. Potatoes, tomatoes, a different type of beans and taco seasoning can also be added. This recipe lasts in the refrigerator for a few days so can be used the next day for quesadillas.
Feel free to comment and let us know what you think! =)