So sorry we have not posted anything! School is really taking a toll on our lives. But that doesn’t mean we are not cooking, it just means we are being lazy to post things on here! But here is an easy fried rice recipe. It’s not the Chinese Fried Rice, it’s more Indian, but it turned out amazing!!
Cold day old rice- we used masoori rice
Half onion- cut length-wise
1 green pepper and 1 red pepper- cut into long strips
1 tsp sambar powder, chili powder
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp jeera and mustard seeds
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
Salt to taste
1. Heat some oil in a pan, once it is hot enough, put the bay leaf, jeera and mustard seeds and let it sputter.
2. Add in the onions and green peppers.
3. Add in the spices and the ginger-garlic paste and let the vegetables cook until they are still crunchy.
4. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cold rice and mix together.
5. Once it is all mixed together, taste the rice to ensure there is enough salt and spices. Add more if necessary.
6. Once the rice has fully absorbed the taste and is to your liking, serve hot with raita.
We added a few other spices, but unfortunately the labels were not clear as to what it was, but my best guess is some kind of vegetable subji masala. Feel free to experiment with any spices you have!
We were supposed to add cabbage to this recipe, but unfortunately the cabbage went bad, but it would have added an extra crunch to the rice as well. Carrots would be a good vegetable to add to this as well.
The raita we made for this was slightly different because we did not have chilies or coriander leaves but we had cucumber. But since the rice is spicy we decided not to put any chili in the raita and added the cucumber to soothe our palettes.
Go ahead and try it out! Happy eating!