So as you have seen, we have a lot of potato in our diet. This is because potato is such an easy vegetable to change to your liking. It can be fried, roasted, mashed, baked! There is no end to what you can do to a potato. But last night, I really wanted something good but quick (20 mins) to make. And potato takes at least 20 minutes to boil. So we decided to make this baked potato recipe, but make the process a little faster because baking potatoes takes about 45 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. So here is an easier way to do it.
2 large potatoes (russet)
Vegetables (I used green pepper, cauliflower, onions, but you can put any others)- chopped into small pieces
1. Wash the potatoes really well under cold water, brushing off any eyes and dirt. Poke a few holes with a fork all over the potatoes.
2. Put the potato in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes, just until the potato becomes a little bit soft. Our microwave is very powerful so we try not to put the potato in for more than that, otherwise it becomes too soft.
3. In the mean time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Once the potatoes are done in the microwave, take them out CAREFULLY and poke holes along the middle of the potato. Press it gently on the edges and the potato should pop open.
5. Fill the middle with your vegetables and a small amount of butter (if using). Then sprinkle a little cheese, just to melt in with the vegetables.
6. Many websites that I read said put the potato directly on the oven rack and put a sheet of foil under it to catch any drippings. But we just put the potato on a sheet of foil and put it in the oven so it will be easier to take it out. Leave the potato in for about 15-20 minutes, until all the vegetables are cooked.
7. Once it is done, serve hot with more cheese.
8. Optional- we put a pot with half a can of beans and put some taco seasoning and salt, to serve on top of the potato.
The vegetables really add flavour so make sure it cooks through completely, otherwise you will have a lot of uncooked vegetables on top of the potato.
We love butter with baked potatoes, and it adds a creamy flavour to the potato but you can easily just add salt and pepper to it instead. We just like going the fatty way! =)
What quick innovative recipes do you have for potatoes (or any other vegetable)?